Acne/Epilepsy/Low fat vegan

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Acne/Epilepsy/Low fat vegan

Postby Orsy26 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:25 am

Good afternoon,

I would like some advice for a problem I'm dealing with at the moment. Tried to search the whole website but can't really find an answer!
I have a daughter who is nearly 14 years old. With puberty unfortunately her skin suffered a lot. She has horrible acne. All started around 3 years ago! So she is suffering from it for a long while now! We have been to many many doctors, dermatologists. She has been on more antibiotics that I can keep track of. Lastly they said there is no other hope, then Accutane! Obviously I said no. That was around last spring. Since then I tried everything, but no improvement whatsoever. Finally I found out about Nina and Randa Nelson, and their Clear Skin Diet, and we started to follow it about a month ago! We finally can see some improvement, not a lot yet, but I know it will take time, so not worried at all!
Unfortunately last November she was diagnosed with Epilepsy, she has Tonic Clonic ones, about 2 a month or so. Now as I have done a lot of research here and all over the internet, I know many doctors recommend the Keto diet for epilepsy! I don't want to go down that route at all! But since being on the CSD, very low fat, she had more seizures, even with medications!
So my question is, should I up her fat (not with added oil but with things like avocado/nuts/seeds) and possible ruin the acne diet, or it is just a coincidence and as soon as her body get used to this way of eating, her seizures will settle as well.
Unfortunately our epilepsy team is can't even agree with a vegan diet, let alone a low fat vegan diet.
Any thoughts would be highly appreciated!
Orsy26

Re: Acne/Epilepsy/Low fat vegan

Postby DylanG » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:56 pm

I was diagnosed with epilepsy, tonic colonic seizures and focal seizures in November 2019. I don't have an answer for you, I am curious to what others might say. I have been on a vegan whole food plant based, no oil diet since November 2020 and have experienced no increase in seizures. If anything I have actually had less focal seizures than I was having before. I think it is possible to be vegan and have epilepsy and controlled seizures. It sounds like maybe your daughters medication is not dialed in yet if I had to guess. I wish her luck, I know how scary it is, especially for you.
DylanG

Return to Health Issues