Digestion issues for years even being vegan

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Digestion issues for years even being vegan

Postby rwtalty » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:39 am

Hello,

My name is Ryan Talty, I have been vegan for 10+ years and went from being 405 lbs to about 285 lbs relatively quickly in 2 years. Since then I have struggled with digestive issues and losing weight. I tried raw vegan(which lost me the weight initially), that stopped working so I tried raw till 4, which worked for a while got down to 255 (which included riding 3-4,000 miles a year on the bike). Then fell off the bandwagon because of moving to a different state and working 80 mile round trip from my house and buying whatever vegan food I could usually fake meat and pasta, potato chips, some fruit, and vegetables, added weight and was back in the 285 range since 2017. I can ride 1,000s of miles a year and still have no weight loss. I started doing starch solution in 2018 but still had the occasional cookies, muffins, and fake meat but lost some weight into the 270 range. Was riding the bike a LOT in 2018-2019 but saw little to no change on the scale. 2020 came and I had to have my ankle replaced with a titanium 3d implant and figured what better time to go full force on the starch solution than after surgery when I cannot cook my own food because I cannot stand nor can I do my own grocery shopping. It did help me get down into the 250s but just barely, I have to do an absurd amount of cardio to get my weight to fluctuate at all. I am now 5 months into doing the starch solution strictly and still having digestion/gas issues. The one constant in this whole journey of mine has been digestion. I have gone to the Cleveland Clinic a number of times and had blood tests run that all come back within range. I hope you can help me as I am losing my mind with this whole thing. I have handed the starch solution out to a number of people who I thought would benefit from it and they have, it is even more annoying to see how effortless their progress has been.
rwtalty

Re: Digestion issues for years even being vegan

Postby Ejeff » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:38 am

Hi Ryan.

Are you more frustrated with not losing the amount of weight you would like or the digestive issues?

Most people with digestive issues try the elimination diet. It could be your body reacts badly to certain foods and the only way you can figure it out is to start by eating one food only for a few days. Like brown rice. Then add another to see how you react.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby viv » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:08 pm

It took me a long time to be comfortable eating beans and there are some foods I just don't eat because of stomach issues, e.g., onions. So eat simply for a while and figure out which foods cause the problems. Dr. McDougall says you can live on sweet potatoes with a few sprigs of broccoli.

Also, in the past week I have started 16/8 intermittent fasting which has made a huge difference. Eating is done in an 8 hour window, 12-8pm. I think I have just been eating too much. My stomach feels so much calmer and I have more energy.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby michaelswarm » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:58 pm

Ryan,

I’ve been eating this way for 10 years now. Started with a partner who died of cancer. Now feeding family of 5.

First, congratulations on what you have discovered an done so far.

Some abstinence might be in order for your digestive issues. Like others have suggested, an elimination diet could help identify and provide relief from food sensitivities. Keep it very simple.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2002nl ... 00diet.htm

Also, consider working with a knowledgable professional. It might help to have vitals, blood tests, medications, medical history, and lifestyle habits all reviewed and analyzed in a systemic way.

When it comes to weight loss, beyond time and adherence, there are adjustments you can also consider.

- Limit seasonings. No sugar or salt. Food simple and repetitive. Make food boring.
- No higher calorie density: bread, dry fruit, nuts, etc.
- Limit fruit, no dry fruit or fruit juices
- Eat vegetables first. Soups and salads.
- Smaller portions: eat until full, not stuffed.
- No Extra meals: no snacks
- No Liquid calories: no juices and no smoothies

Though we share the same biology, everyone is different in their history, routines, habits and tastes.

In addition to Dr John McDougall, Jeff Novick RD has lots of good knowledge. His understanding calorie density is invaluable. Also Dr Doug Lisle, PhD. Much good insight into motivations, personality and psychology behind our actions.

Calorie Density
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdwWliv7Hg
michaelswarm

Return to Health Issues